Code of Equine Safety
Due to the basic nature of horses, certain risks are present each time you enter our facility. For your safety, as well as the safety of staff and horses, it is very important to understand and follow a few safety rules.
- No smoking within 30 feet of buildings.
- Students entering the grounds must immediately check in with their instructor.
- Do not enter areas where horses are present without staff supervision or approval.
- Do not pet and feed the program horses without staff supervision or approval.
- Yield and give plenty of room to workers, equipment, and horses in aisles.
- No strollers, scooters, bikes, umbrellas, etc. are permitted in the barn area.
- Refrain from loud noises and sudden movement around the horses, including when you are in the observation room, grooming stalls and tack room.
- All riders must wear ASTM approved safety helmets and leather shoes or boots when working with the horses.
Riding Clothes and Equipment
We require a few basic items for the comfort and safety of you and the horses.
- A pair of riding boots or hard-soled shoes with at least a 1/2" heel and smooth sole. Please stay away from fashion boots with high heels. This prevents the heel from the correct position. Absolutely no sandals or cloth tennis shoes will be allowed.
- Straight-legged long pants, such as jeans, knit pants, jodhpurs, breeches or chaps. No shorts will be permitted.
- In the winter, layering is suggested. Insulated socks and boots are recommended. Bulky, long coats can pose a challenge to your riding.
- An ASTM approved helmet must be worn while working around the horses. Lane of Dreams Farm provides helmets for your use during the lesson, but we recommend that you purchase your own helmet once you learn how to fit the helmet properly. We can recommend catalogs and local shops where you can find this equipment.
- Leather riding gloves are recommended year round. Gloves that are not too thick work best.
- If you are unable to make a scheduled less, you must give Lane of Dreams a 24-hour cancellation notice. If a 24-hour notice is given, a make-up lesson may be scheduled within 30 days of the missed lesson. It is the rider's responsibility to schedule the make up lesson. REFUNDS WILL NOT BE GIVEN FOR MISSED LESSONS.
- If your instructor is ill, at a horse show, or has to cancel your lesson for any reason, you will have the following options:
2) Ride with a different instructor
3) Receive a credit for next month's session of lessons.
- Occasionally Lane of Dreams may have to cancel a lesson due to extreme weather conditions. Lessons will be rescheduled or credited toward the next month's session.
- Please call the farm before coming for your lesson if:
2) The temperature is below 20°, or high winds and drifting snow.